Thursday, January 20, 2011

Poem: constant dream state?

Constant Dream State?

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord will keep
the nightmares at bay
let not my mind stray
to dark thoughts and painful sights
let not the darkness banish my inner light
surrounded and stalked by the dead and dying
I wake from unresolved confrontations, crying
unadjusted eyes take in common place items
but a confused mind sends flight signals
heart jumps and gallops on
thumping, thumping
thump, thump, thump
against a tight chest
the lungs behind my breast
pulls in air that’s not quite enough to fill the space
constricted wind pipe cuts off a scream
a tiny yelp escapes
air wheezes in through nose and out through mouth
a dull ache encloses a tender head prone to migraines

Now I lay awake
I pray the Lord will take
away the cripplingly fear
stop the silent tears
that leaves salty trails on damp cheeks
let not the trembling leave me weak
surrounded by emptiness
no allies in or out of dreams
unfulfilled desires take a backseat
but manifest its self in sleep
when I’m most vulnerable
when I let down my guard
where I open myself up to the universe
inviting rest from the pressure of polished pretenses
face soft from the slackness of muscles in rest
eyelids covering soul bearing eyes
body sighing as weight is released to the bed below
comfort no longer found on the queen sized mattress
thoughts at war with each other whirl around
attacked my monsters in dreams and my thoughts when awake

*I fully believe that no poem is ever finished just abandoned.  I can write on for days...

No comments:

Post a Comment