Friday, July 20, 2012

The Funny Thing About Attention...

The Funny Thing About Attention

So the other day I was walking my dog and then enter Junior.

“Can I talk to you for a second?”

“I kind of busy here,” I say as I look down at my dog and try to tug her along.

“Can I ask you a question?  What’s your name?”

I couldn’t even lie about my name; it was stitched into my line jacket.

“I’m Junior.”

Of course you are, you’re Jamaican.  Most male yardies (Jamaicans) are named after their father and in turn are called Junior.


I'm sure I'm not the only woman out there that feels unpretty every so often. Truth be told only ugly women never feel unattractive. Ugly people seem to have this false sense of beauty.  But I digress... I go through my bouts of insecurity where I think I’m unattractive and undesirable; it usually happens when I have stop dating someone or I noticed that I haven’t been hit on in awhile.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t go about my day wishes that someone would hit on me, but attention from the opposite sex is reaffirming.  Anyone that says different is lying.

 So what do I do when I’m feeling unattractive, no one hits on me for a few days, and all of a sudden someone does?  I brush him off of course.  I mean, seriously, no good can come from entertaining a pick up when you are in an unpretty mood.  Who’s to say that you didn’t just give in to the weak pickup because the attention had a numbing affect on your senses?

The funny thing about attention is, you want it until you get it.  Once you get it, you don’t want it anymore.  This could be for several reasons.  The most obvious of which is, you want the attention but you didn’t want attention from that person.  Other reasons include… who am I kidding?  That’s the only reason that matters in this post.  You got what you wanted just not from who you wanted it from.  So the problem isn’t in the getting, it’s in the accepting.  If all we wanted was attention to dispel the doubts about our attractiveness then we would never have them.  Like my pole dancing instructor said, “Somebody wants it, I guarantee, that somebody wants it.”  Truer words have never been spoken.  I want attention from someone that will make me forget my rules and reservations, not someone that makes me hide being my proper and sometimes uptight façade.

No comments:

Post a Comment